Foreword - Interventional Cardiology (2009) Volume 1, Issue 2
Expanding the horizons in cardiovascular interventions
- Corresponding Author:
- Aravinda Nanjundappa
3110 Mc Corkle Avenue SE
Charleston, WV 25304, USA
Tel: +1 252 412 1134
Fax: +1 304 388 4885
E-mail: [email protected]
“It is often through the rigorous review of the literature and critical review of data that we can properly move forward with innovative interventional techniques to better serve our patients.”
As Associate Editors of the journal, we are delighted to be able to introduce this issue. We both have a sincere passion for cardiovascular diseases and their interventional management. It is quintessential that we develop a solid foundation from which we can expand our knowledge and treatment selection. It is often through the rigorous review of the literature and critical review of data that we can properly move forward with innovative interventional techniques to better serve our patients.
Along these lines, our friend and colleague, Dr Clavijo and his associates, present research highlights on the SYNTAX score . Drs Di Mario and Secco present an update from the 2009 European Society of Cardiology meeting .
In this issue there is one special report and three editorials. These cover the pathology of drug-eluting stents by Dr Virmani et al. , the relevance of door-to-balloon times in acute myocardial infarctions by Dr Wang et al. , radiation safety by Dr Rixe et al.  and catheter-based radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation by Dr Garlitski et al. .
This issue also includes a perspective and reviews. Dr Bedogni et al. present a fascinating perspective on preventing complications of carotid artery stenting . Along this theme, Dr Macdonald from the UK reviews the role of filter design in embolic protection for carotid artery stenting .
There are reviews on structural cardiac interventions. Dr De Wolf presents complications associated with atrial septal defect closure  and Dr Block discusses the role of left atrial appendage closure . The technology associated with left ventricular assist devices is rapidly evolving, and Drs Tuseth and Nordrehaug present the role of percutaneous left ventricular assist devices in preventing cerebral ischemia . Dr Meuwissen et al. discuss the role of coronary flow reserve in decision analysis of intermediate coronary lesions . Drs Bolia and Adair present their techniques on treating very complex infrapopliteal lesions .
We are very excited to introduce this issue on cardiovascular interventions to you.
Financial & competing interests disclosure
The authors have no relevant affiliations or financial involvement with any organization or entity with a financial interest in or financial conflict with the subject matter or materials discussed in the manuscript. This includes employment, consultancies, honoraria, stock ownership or options, expert testimony, grants or patents received or pending, or royalties.
No writing assistance was utilized in the production of this manuscript.
- Chen S-F, Somma K, Matthews RV, Clavijo LC: Utility of the SYNTAX score for predicting outcome after percutaneous coronary intervention. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 155–156 (2009).
- Secco GG, Di Mario C: European Society of Cardiology Congress. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 161–164 (2009).
- Ladich E, Vorpahl M, Nakano M, Virmani R: Latest on the pathology of drug-eluting stents. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 165–174 (2009).
- Chin CT, Wang TY: Reducing door-to-balloon time in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: are we missing the forest for the trees? Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 143–146 (2009).
- Rixe J, Rolf A: Radiation dose in imaging of coronary artery disease: current status and perspectives. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 147–150 (2009).
- Garlitski AC, Alsheikh-Ali AA, Ip S: Comparative effectiveness of catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: moving with the rhythm. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 139–141 (2009).
- Bedogni F, Laudisa ML, Brambilla N, Pizzocri S, Testa L: Prevention and treatment of complications during carotid artery stenting. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 175–184 (2009).
- Macdonald S: Role of filter design in embolic protection during carotid artery stenting. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 185–195 (2009).
- De Wolf D: Complications of transcatheter atrial septal defect closure. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 209–218 (2009).
- Block PC: Is there a role for transcatheter left atrial appendage occlusion? Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 219–223 (2009).
- Tuseth V, Nordrehaug JE: Role of percutaneous left ventricular assist devices therapy in preventing cerebral ischemia. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 197–208 (2009).
- Meuwissen M, Siebes M, Chamuleau SAJ et al.: Role of fractional and coronary flow reserve in clinical decision making in intermediate coronary lesions.
- Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 237–255 (2009).
- Adair WD, Bolia A: Recanalization of infrapopliteal occlusions. Interv. Cardiol. 1(2), 225–235 (2009).